Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Jodie Meeks of Kentucky is on the rise... scored a school-record 54 points earlier today

Meeks Scores School-Record 54 In Kentucky Win

In a game for the ages Jodie Meeks dropped 54 points, including 10 three pointers, on Tennessee to give the Wildcats a 90-72 road win, the Associated Press is reporting.

In the process Meeks also broke Dan Issel's school record of 53 points. The record has stood for 39 years.

"It means a lot to be in the same sentence as Dan Issel. It's mind-boggling," he said. "I was just out there playing to win."

"I have never seen anything like it," Kentucky coach Billy Gillispie said. "Jodie Meeks had 46 against Appalachian State, and they are a nice team, but not near a team the quality of Tennessee and on the home court."

The 54 points was also the biggest individual SEC performance since Chris Jackson's 55 for LSU against Mississippi in 1989.

"There have been so many great players -- this is the greatest basketball tradition in the world at the collegiate level -- and to be able to put your name up there with some of those greats is quite an accomplishment," Gillispie said.
    Last edited by amamangloy; 01-14-2009 at 08:55 PM.

Blog Entries
    si Hansbrough kay layo kaayo sa mga mock drafts but he is leading the way for UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by amamangloy View Post
    si Hansbrough kay layo kaayo sa mga mock drafts but he is leading the way for UNC.
    taas taas paman pod ang NCAA.... if UNC gets in the final four murag naa jud na si hansbrough sa top 10

Blog Entries
    di pa cguro ni magpa draft this coming June kay high school paman ni

si Hansbrough ug Rubio

Blog Entries
    Pitt's Blair continues to make steady progress

DeJuan Blair knows all about Wes Unseld now.

Blair, who took some good-natured ribbing from his coaches because he'd never heard of the NBA Hall of Famer, is now taking it another step: He's starting to play like the former Washington Bullets' great.

"It's kind of been a little bit of a joke with us," Pitt coach Jamie Dixon said. "Sometimes a joke can be a good teaching tool."

Blair keeps refining his game as No. 4 Pitt (17-1, 5-1) prepares to travel Sunday afternoon to West Virginia (14-4, 3-2), which is coming off a victory at Georgetown.

From accurate outlet passes to fewer turnovers, Blair is improving in his sophomore season.

"Keep growing step by step," Blair said. "It's cool to polish your game like that."

So, how does Unseld, who starred as an undersized NBA center playing at a Blair-like 6-foot-7, 245 pounds, fit in?

Here's the story. Dixon was trying to impress upon Blair the importance of crisp outlet passes. The sixth-year coach mentioned Unseld, who starred for the Bullets in the 1970s and was known for his rebounding prowess and legendary outlet passes.

But Unseld, named to the NBA's 50th anniversary all-time team after retiring in 1981, meant nothing to the 19-year-old Blair.

"We explained to him who he was," said Dixon, who, coincidentally, was drafted by the Bullets in 1987 when Unseld was in the front office.

Since then, the reminders are everywhere.

When the Panthers played at the Verizon Center in Washington D.C., Unseld's retired No. 42 jersey hung from the rafters.

Same thing at Louisville's Freedom Hall, where Unseld starred in the 1960s.

"I saw it," Blair said. "I was in the building."

The 6-7, 265-pound Blair ranks third in the nation at 12.8 rebounds per game (behind only pre-season All-Americans Blake Griffin of Oklahoma and Luke Harangody of Notre Dame).

But it is Blair's actions after the rebounds that have improved. He is hitting point guard Levance Fields in stride and getting the offense off and running. Last season, Blair admits he lazily tossed outlet passes without much authority.

"I would throw them underhand or throw them wibbly-wobbly," he said. "They weren't good passes. Now, I think I do a good job, and once (Fields) gets it, he can run, instead of having to wait."

Dixon agreed Blair is significantly better in that area. He said last season Blair had a tendency to "use a rebound as an opportunity to rest."

"Now, we are talking to him about getting it out quick and giving us a chance to go," Dixon said. "It's just a part of his improvement."

Blair has more assists than turnovers (21-20) this season after having more than twice as many turnovers to assists as a freshman. He also has more steals and fewer fouls.

West Virginia coach Bob Huggins is a Blair fan.

"He's the most dominant big guy in our league," Huggins said. "He has improved dramatically, and I thought he was pretty good last year."

Part of that improvement is Blair's outlet passing. He averages roughly seven defensive rebounds per game, which is seven chances to start a fast break.

Dixon never doubted Blair could become an outstanding outlet passer - in the mold of former UCLA star and No. 5 overall NBA draft pick Kevin Love.

"He has the tools," Dixon said of Blair. "First of all, he gets rebounds. That's a good starting point. He's got the strength. He's got the touch. He's got the passing ability."

Griffin gihapon No. 1 sa mock draft.

BLAKE GRIFFIN will be the #1 pick!

Blog Entries

Georgia Tech's Alade Aminu (44) shoots over Wake Forest's Al-Farouq Aminu, left, during the second half of Wake Forest's 87-69 win in an NCAA college basketball game in Winston-Salem, N.C., Wednesday, Feb. 18, 2009.

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast