Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast

Default Istoryan Writers

MrBiddle,

Come and join us. To me you have always been a good writer and even a better film director if given the chance. You are a little noisy. But I would rather suffer your noise and be happy with your honesty rather than be oppressed by all glib talk and pretension.

Oh, you did not come that day I was at the SM lobbies. Anway, come this time where I am sure you will be accepted as you are.

Default Istoryan Writers

I have PMs for thisbe.ara and reggiebuang for a very exciting writing contract. This contract can make writing hobbies gainful as professional writing career.

Try it guys even just for the experience on how you negotiate a book. I am a member of the Editorial Board of this organization. I did give you my real name in that PM for you to cite as your referrence person.

Default iSTORYAN.writers

In a moment now, I wll be off down the road south, for a long night's drive to Samboan. But before that, let me share the followng thoughts for tomorrow's (Dec. 4) iSTORYAN.net's pre-organizational meet at Don Henrico's at Ayala.

For the planned organization to be well founded, there are a lot of important things that need to be discussed thoroughly, such as its (a) vision, (b) short-term goals and (c) other strategic concerns. In which case, under the likely atmosphere yet to prevail in tomorrow's EB, there might not be enough decent time to discuss all these. Perhaps, what we can discuss tomorrow will be just matters of our interest to form a group. And find quality time sooner after tomorrow to take up matters more substantial to our interests --- and this can also be explored where and when in tomorrow's pre-organizational meet.

Foremost in my mind now is the vision (panglantaw) of the organization --- perhaps, as a way of suggestion, "the establishment of a caring community of writers responsive to the concerns of the larger public." In which case, the mission sounds like that "which produces and publishes articles, short stories, novels, essays, poetry, studies and essays for wider distribution." In its formal form, this organization needs to be non-stock non-profit and duly registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). This is to give us legitimacy but need not be done immediately. I also can see the involvement pro-bono of CrashBURN's father who can guide us proactively in copyrighting our production (Atty. Manuelito Inso is a top-notch lawyer in the area of copyrighting and protection of intellectual property).

Far into the future, I can see the possibility of our organization able to respond to the need for gainful productivity of many of our iSTORYAN.writers. I have myself, in the past, acted as publisher of ace writers like Resil Mojares ("Casa Gorordo") and Simeon Dumdum Jr. (a book of poetry) and I personally knew many self-publishing authors like Brett Aleonar (a novel). I mention this because, in my closer look into the business of publishing, it is both the short story-writing and screenplay that are most viable. I now rest on the fact that we have all the ingredients for a more successful writing and publishing:

1. iSTORYAN.net writers are very good writers;

2. We can obtain the pro-bono services of a good IPR lawyer; and

3. We have appreciable experience in actual publishing (note --- I also had been a part of the failed experiment of publishing a daily broadsheet called "The Independent Post" and I have a good grasp of its failure --- lessons learned);

But, of course, we need to study the market situation.

I am also thinking of our group not becoming too exclusive in the English medium. In which case, I suggest that we include Cebuano/Visayan writers interested to become part of us.

More tomorrow, Dec. 4, at Don Henrico's.

Default Istoryan Writers

I want to write comic books.

Some of my work has appeared in Prophecy Magazine (www.prophecymagazine.com) and I am currently developing an idea for a comic book series under Platinum Studios (www.platinumstudios.com). Also, JoMark and friends have been nice enough to adapt one of my comic book stories into a short film.

I love comic books. My ultimate dream is to write Spider-man comics forever.

Default Istoryan Writers

Come and be part of the discussion tomorrow, Carlo.

If you look around the newstands and magazine stores, it is the comics that sell first --- indicating popular patronage of it and viability of comics as business.

Now I remember my old Grimms Illustrated.

Blog Entries

Default Istoryan Writers

blongx, i was able to read your PM..however, i'd rather discuss that with you tomorrow where i can have full access of questions.. please take note, m really more into feature writing.. m not into editorials...but m open to widening my options..
    OMG! m really excited for tomorrow's EB... blongx, you have a lot of things in mind and i know that with the interested istoryans who would care to join us and with constant cooperation, we can achieve a lot...i dream of having an exclusive space in one of our famous local papers...exclusive for istoryan writers...
    @Mr.Biddle, i tend not to be wordy also...i always express my mind out through writing, by just being myself...although i must admit that i am very neurotic with wrong grammars, wrong diction, etc. whether that's an advantage or disadvantage, it depends on the situation...Mr Biddle, by all means, join us...we thirst for more istoryan writers...
    @carlo: you're very free to join us....
    the suggestion of having to widen our scope than just writing using English is a very good idea. i've seen a lot of istoryans with good command of the Tagalog and Visayan language. kinahanglan sab na nato i-develop....
    the help of Crashy's dad will be discussed tomorrow with Crashy's presence..di lang ko comment ani..hehehe.. although it's a very good idea..(toinks, nicomment jud!)
    okidoki, see you peeps!

Default Istoryan Writers

Mr.Biddle, i tend not to be wordy also...i always express my mind out through writing, by just being myself...although i must admit that i am very neurotic with wrong grammars, wrong diction, etc. whether that's an advantage or disadvantage, it depends on the situation...Mr Biddle, by all means, join us...we thirst for more istoryan writers...
    tan awon lang... napud koi attenon na meeting unya.

Default Tan-awon Lang Nato

MrBiddle,

Kon sigi lang ka'g ingon nga "tan-awon lang nato", wa gyod kay esperanza sa imong gusto'ng makab-ot.

Maayong pang mobalibad ka na lang ug klaro. Wa pa'y mahasol ana.

Default Istoryan Writers

thisbe.ara and reggiebuang,

Precisely because it was small and intimate, I find the EB at Don Henrico's to be a success: the talk was substantial, the relationship was warm and the camaraderie was real. But, if you refer to my earlier post above this, I did not expect much to happen to the planned pre-organizational discussion of the iSTORYAN.writers. And to think that I went to this EB with a very specific, particular purpose of assisting you guys in this discussion.

So let me follow that up with the following suggestions:

1. There is need to find at least half a day of some 5 hours for members of iSTORYAN.writers to gather and craft the vision of the organization. Any one can craft this vision. But nothing can substitute the ownership of this vision if this can be extracted from each of the iSTORYAN.writers. This visioning exercise is a part of the strategic planning exercise needed to define the organization, surface its culture and guide its members to the very direction it has articulated in the beginning. I am volunteering to facilitate this exercise; in which I case I am sending you PM of my brief Curriculum Vitae, if only to reassure you that this exercise is a cup of coffee to me.

2. For this exercise we need to find a function room suited for it --- such as one that is airconditioned, has a black- or whiteboard, desk and bottled water on the side. I heard that Baseline, near STC, has this particular function room for PhP150.00 per person, which includes lunch of 4 courses, dessert and softdrinks. And for this purpose --- specifically for the beta-carding we need to be doing --- we need to bring (a) 250 sheets of blank 1/2 crosswise-cut of legal bond paper, (b) 10 pentel pens or one pentel pen for each of the participating iSTORYAN.writer, and (c) one roll masking tape.

I suggest each participating iSTORYAN.writer be assessed for the function room plus lunch. For the consummables during the activities (e.g. pentel pens, papers and masking tape), I suggest you and I approach Insotech for sponsorship; this will not cost more than PhP1,000.00.

The sooner we can do this exercise, the better. But I will not be available starting Dec. 10 and for the next 14 days.

There.

Blog Entries

Default Istoryan Writers

hi blongkoy!
    i want to let you know that your presence was deeply appreciated, considering that you gave up your trip sa south to be with us...your ideas were very insightful and i am really interested with our strategic planning..
    finding a venue that goes out with our minute budgets is a great challenge.. so those who could suggest a place, okay kaayo...we're open to that.. another challenge is when we could all get together with our busy schedules... for all those concerned, kindly react on this. while i am finalizing the venue and date, your comments are most welcome.
    reggie! grabe jud ni akong graffiti idol...lingaw jud kayo ko nimo oi...kani sab si sir blongx, hilom2x lang pero sige na diay to observe para naa masuwat sa pics!! hehehe...we will be posting more pics tomorrow, by the way...
    sir blongx, my mouth dropped wide open with your credentials. phew, power! although maski wala to, i know that you are the best person for that. this group is so lucky at its neophyte stage...
    we have so much to do..and yet the problem is where to start... lagi dalian ta na asa na venue before molarga si sir blongx didto sa iya cruise sa danube....m still oogling at that opportunity...suya kaayo ko oi!!!! happy trip sir blongx ha and pasalubong...
    for the moment, i am inviting more istoryan writers to join us...basing on their posts, i know that there are a lot jud. but kani nga org, di ni pinugsanay...it's not enough that you can write. the interest should be there....
    there!

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 106 FirstFirst ... 23456714 ... LastLast