Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew 6:24

Quote Originally Posted by prukutung View Post
    the thing is that, she pointed this verse as one of her reasons why she should break-up, i ain't a bible freak like her.. but i really see no significance on this certain verse on our relationship issue...
    your girlfriend is gonna break up with you because of Matthew 6:24? i feel bad for you bro, i really do.

Blog Entries
    "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

What's your point of view on this? is it in any way related into a relationship?

i mean.. for example... i have this certain girl... we're both christians yet we dun have the same faith... and they have a different name for their God...

the thing is that, she pointed this verse as one of her reasons why she should break-up, i ain't a bible freak like her.. but i really see no significance on this certain verse on our relationship issue...

we have the same christian faith.. but the only thing that separates us is this principle.. which is strictly implemented on their holy grounds...

i didn't post this on the relationship forum because i want this topic directed on theological and philosophical basis... not merely on love common sense or something...

did she offer you to convert? the next question is are you willing?

on the verse...
    this is what she is trying to tell you. My only master is Jesus and I cannot violate his law. you are an unbeliever as far as her faith is concern. bible tells them not to be equally yoke with unbelievers. She loves you but she is afraid of what others might say to her for violating the rule of her faith.

this is how I see the verse...noticed the last sentence? "you cannot serve God and Mammon" what is a Mammon? does it refer to a relationship?

Webster defines mammon as... "Mammon" or "Mann" as: 1) the false god of riches and avarice. 2) riches regarded as an object of worship and greedy pursuit; wealth as an evil, more or less personified.

Winston Dictionary defines it to mean: 1) wealth, worldly gain; 2) greed for riches; cupidity.

Oxford defines: god of wealth, regarded as evil or immoral; 'those who worship mammon' are equivalent to greedy people who value money too highly.

so the two masters mentioned in the verse represents God and Wealth, so what the verse actually says is you cannot serve God and Wealth, its either you serve the other and leave the other. That's the proper exegesis. sometimes these people would stretch the meaning of certain words in the bible till it reaches to a point where the original meaning is lost.

No mention of Relationship. but if you tell them this, be ready for apathy.
    Last edited by Malic; 01-18-2010 at 01:45 AM.

she pointed out this verse as some sort of analogy...

honestly, she's having a hard time trying to explain to me everything... that at one point to simplify things out she simply said it's all about her family....

i really can't digest biblical/theological/whatever explanations so easily... for me they're all impractical... like any other else, my only objective in life is to be good to others... that's it...
    i believe faith is important because it helps you become a better person.. but too much of it i believe isolates you from the rest of the world...

@Malic,

yes she did once but i kinda refused... one reason was that they're too complicated and it won't fit my lifestyle... i'm entirely her opposite.. and since the start what bind us was the common mutual relationship we felt for each other... and since we're on we adjusted to each other... i changed my usual lousy/untidy lifestyle, i even managed to suppress my verbal insensitivity, since she can't stand hearing a single bad word... in return she always tried to understand me...

i understand now what you're pointing out... but based on your explanation (and james'), i agree that it really have nothing to do about a relationship... but as i said, this might be her some sort of little way to make me understand...

Banned User
    "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

What's your point of view on this? is it in any way related into a relationship?

i mean.. for example... i have this certain girl... we're both christians yet we dun have the same faith... and they have a different name for their God...

we have the same christian faith.. but the only thing that separates us is this principle.. which is strictly implemented on their holy grounds...

i didn't post this on the relationship forum because i want this topic directed on theological and philosophical basis... not merely on love common sense or something...
    Brad, all i can say about your case is this.

No religion can save you, but if you know christ it is up to you to accept it.

Now for your relationship, you might want to win her and even her soul. But you just cannot push her that hard, they say bro love is in between sanity and insanity. Remember there is always a limit of what you can do... just don't do anything stupid! Give her that right to choose what is best for her. My point bro is this, WE ARE MALES, WE ARE BORN HUNTERS, LIVE WITH IT. If you cant catch your prey, then we all miss at some point in our lives. But before you let go, give her your best, your honest and sincere affection. After all, it is your company that matters most... being there when she need you...

Banned User
    she pointed out this verse as some sort of analogy...

honestly, she's having a hard time trying to explain to me everything... that at one point to simplify things out she simply said it's all about her family....

i really can't digest biblical/theological/whatever explanations so easily... for me they're all impractical... like any other else, my only objective in life is to be good to others... that's it...
    i believe faith is important because it helps you become a better person.. but too much of it i believe isolates you from the rest of the world...

@Malic,

yes she did once but i kinda refused... one reason was that they're too complicated and it won't fit my lifestyle... i'm entirely her opposite.. and since the start what bind us was the common mutual relationship we felt for each other... and since we're on we adjusted to each other... i changed my usual lousy/untidy lifestyle, i even managed to suppress my verbal insensitivity, since she can't stand hearing a single bad word... in return she always tried to understand me...

i understand now what you're pointing out... but based on your explanation (and james'), i agree that it really have nothing to do about a relationship... but as i said, this might be her some sort of little way to make me understand...
    bro u must understand this:

Some believers cannot tolerate lifestyles. Some Christian cannot simply walk into a bar drinking and dancing. That is because they have this obligation to their faith, or they might be a teacher of some sort that tells people or children don't do this and that. Please do understand, You cannot tell people not to do things your are doing... it does not fit any logic at all.

a pastor cannot be accompanied with liqour. if it does its a joke.

That's a shame. She's unknowingly putting herself in the position to deny a genuine love, so it's her loss as much as it is yours. But regardless of her religion/family/culture, perhaps she needs to be reminded that love is still just love, despite of its many forms.

In my opinion, there is no religion or scripture above love, or worth denying love (even if it explicitly says so). I would blame it on the family's spousal preferences to outright religious racism, two things clearly manifested in the girl's "understanding" of the said scripture.

On a much broader note, isn't it funny that most religions speak of unity, but actively seek to divide themselves from the people who have different faiths vs their own. It's ironic and extremely hypocritical don't you think?

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    I think it calls for harmony and compatibilities, like can you mingle a christian and a satanist? (just an example)........what do you think?...........

Sobra ra pud nang satanista.

Muslim ug christian kaha?

This topic is even closer than that, presenting two christians in different denominations (if I'm correct).
    Last edited by tingkagol; 01-18-2010 at 02:32 PM.

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    Yup, pero naay instances nga naay nagkadayon between muslims ug christians, although dili tanan, kay naa may moral foundations pud isig ka faith....pero how about an atheist and a religious one...although mo-tuo sab ko...love do conquers all....depende ra gyud na, if one is willing to sacrifice something just to champion what he/she feels, pero mo-suffer gyud sa consequences.

You're right. The only way I see two people of different faiths become a couple (eg., a muslim and christian) is when both of them are willing to loosen up on their religious principles. But following this topic, you'll notice when at least one of them is extremely devout, the relationship is bound to fail- unless that person makes the sacrifice for the sake of love.

Still, it is hypocritical to actively speak of "unity" and "love" among people, when you can't even trust (and marry) someone of a different faith. Something's really wrong there. In my opinion, it's this kind of intolerance that causes religious strife throughout the world.

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast