Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matthew 6:24

Default Matthew 6:24

"No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

What's your point of view on this? is it in any way related into a relationship?

i mean.. for example... i have this certain girl... we're both christians yet we dun have the same faith... and they have a different name for their God...

the thing is that, she pointed this verse as one of her reasons why she should break-up, i ain't a bible freak like her.. but i really see no significance on this certain verse on our relationship issue...

we have the same christian faith.. but the only thing that separates us is this principle.. which is strictly implemented on their holy grounds...

i didn't post this on the relationship forum because i want this topic directed on theological and philosophical basis... not merely on love common sense or something...

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    Bro Prukutung
    Please allow me to give you this passage:
    It's extracted from 1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Perhaps there is no love after all..........

I can not see how the verse can relate to a relationship unless she feels that you place something before God. That something in your life has more meaning to you than your walk with God. Drugs, gambling, money, etc. reasons could be both diverse and complex.

But if she is strong in her belief and in love with you, than she should be willing to try to help you stay the course. If it relates to her, than she may feel you are pulling her away from the narrow path he has chosen in her walk with the Lord. It is complex and prioritizing when pertaining to relationships. It is possible she is just confused. I do not want you to bare your soul on the forum. But have patience with her. If it is true love, than it will correct itself in the end.

In the US there is an native tribe called the Sioux who have a saying,
    if you love something,
    Set it free ....
    If it comes back, it is truly yours;
    if it does not return,
    than it never was yours to have.

I hope you the best in this matter, you sound like you really care for this girl. True Love should be able to endure all. Good luck.

Perhaps the church she attends wants you too to be a member, and if you have refused then they may be now pushing her to leave you. The sin is on the church, because they have no right to impose a rule or belief that is not actually scriptural, as with demands for member's tithes. This makes these churches more of a cult than a true house of worship. That is a hard thing to challenge, because of the long indoctrination of this belief into her mind. It is a form of subtle brainwashing, used to intimidate members from leaving their flock. If this is so tell her to have her elders to show her in the Bible that holds her to this demand, it could make her realize that she has the free will to live her life and still be in the service of the Lord. God dwells in no building, rather he dwells in the hearts of men.
    Last edited by jamesmusslewhite; 01-17-2010 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tirong-say View Post
    Bro Prukutung
    Please allow me to give you this passage:
    It's extracted from 1 Corinthians 13

1If I speak in the tongues[a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames,[b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Perhaps there is no love after all..........
    yeah,

but somehow it is really important you both agrees on the chosen faith...

for me, i find it odd...both on different faith...but they are lovers.

hahaha... sometimes I wonder people are so gratifying about old and outdated things...

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmusslewhite View Post
    But if she is strong in her belief and in love with you, than she should be willing to try to help you stay the course. If it relates to her, than she may feel you are pulling her away from the narrow path he has chosen in her walk with the Lord. It is complex and prioritizing when pertaining to relationships. It is possible she is just confused.
    -exactly... yes we love each other, but as you said, she's really confused... it's like a trilemma for her, her faith, her family, and me... about your second statement, yes that's one thing she tried to point out to me...

In the US there is an native tribe called the Sioux who have a saying,
    if you love something,
    Set it free ....
    If it comes back, it is truly yours;
    if it does not return,
    than it never was yours to have.

-tnx for this bro.. it's exactly what am doing now...

Perhaps the church she attends wants you too to be a member, and if you have refused then they may be now pushing her to leave you. The sin is on the church, because they have no right to impose a rule or belief that is not actually scriptural, as with demands for member's tithes. This makes these churches more of a cult than a true house of worship. That is a hard thing to challenge, because of the long indoctrination of this belief into her mind. It is a form of subtle brainwashing, used to intimidate members from leaving their flock. If this is so tell her to have her elders to show her in the Bible that holds her to this demand, it could make her realize that she has the free will to live her life and still be in the service of the Lord. God dwells in no building, rather he dwells in the hearts of me.
    -that's what am really thinking... their faith really had her stuck on their holy grounds.. but as what she always said, they were baptized at a conscious age for the reason that they know what they're going into.. for them, their faith is not compulsory in the first place... they can't be baptized if they themselves don't fully understand yet their doctrine... so technically she can decide whether or not to be one of them at the point of baptism... so from the start, she always know that our relationship, when busted, will make her an outcast from their church, will be a problem to her family, and would eventually be a problem for me too... but we took that risk... we managed to neglect these risks...

and by the way, their church know nothing about us...
    actually, she's a very devout girl ever since i know her... what shaped our relationship was our hard experiences during high school which eventually led to our mutual relationship until it came to a point that am afraid to lose her so i decided (even though i always know our differences and the possible consequences) to court her... i can say that our relationship was ideal.. if and only if we're not separated by these differences... ideal in the sense that we're almost perfect for each other... she's this type of girl that's not like the average ladies around... she's a woman of principle... she gained my loyalty as i gained her's... her love was of no doubt, as she took all the risk for us... it's just that after 2years she realized that we can't take it any longer....

she can't lie to her God.. there's plenty of stuffs she explained... repentance, everything... she needs to end our relationship if she's really aware that in the eyes of her God she committed a mortal sin... i even once told her, out of desperation, that she don't have to worry about us because she's entirely a good girl anyway, and we're even both christians... she just responded with all of her wisdom...

am more like of a practical guy... am not a real christian by definition... i have my own philosophies... i sometimes consider some of their beliefs impractical... i don't speak bible... but somehow i believe that it's in their faith that molded her to be her as the girl i know...

@Tirong-say

can you please explain the passage in layman's terms? i don't speak bible... and i really need to understand what you're trying to point out...

and as i understand.. that kind of love described in the last part is so ideal that mind me, it ain't existent in this world... i dunno with others though... considering that description, we only fit at 7, and for me the most essential part..
    Last edited by prukutung; 01-17-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: additional

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    It's just a description of what love should be, a reflection, I put perhaps on my last statement for honestly I'm not sure.......

Quote Originally Posted by prukutung View Post
    "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

What's your point of view on this? is it in any way related into a relationship?

i mean.. for example... i have this certain girl... we're both christians yet we dun have the same faith... and they have a different name for their God...

the thing is that, she pointed this verse as one of her reasons why she should break-up, i ain't a bible freak like her.. but i really see no significance on this certain verse on our relationship issue...

we have the same christian faith.. but the only thing that separates us is this principle.. which is strictly implemented on their holy grounds...

i didn't post this on the relationship forum because i want this topic directed on theological and philosophical basis... not merely on love common sense or something...

Either one of you is a pseudo-christian..

@Topic

IMO, I think it's only related to Master - Servant relationship not BF - GF or Husband - Wife

Maybe she thinks you're serving a different God, since your God has a different name than her's, that's why she pointed out that verse. And because of that she thinks that having a relationship with you is like acknowledging your God which makes her serving two masters(your God and her's)

Let her go and pray. If she's for you God will give her to you.
    Last edited by NapoleonBlownapart; 01-18-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Blog Entries
    what is a pseudo-christian?

Quote Originally Posted by prukutung View Post
    she can't lie to her God.. there's plenty of stuffs she explained... repentance, everything... she needs to end our relationship if she's really aware that in the eyes of her God she committed a mortal sin... i even once told her, out of desperation, that she don't have to worry about us because she's entirely a good girl anyway, and we're even both christians... she just responded with all of her wisdom...

am more like of a practical guy... am not a real christian by definition... i have my own philosophies... i sometimes consider some of their beliefs impractical... i don't speak bible... but somehow i believe that it's in their faith that molded her to be her as the girl i know...
    This verse is probabely taken from the American Standard Version or New King James Bible, but it refers to trying serve both wealth and God.

I have two other bibles that have the following interpretations.
    "No one can serve two masters. For you will hate one and love the other; you will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money."

"No man can be the bondservant of two masters; for either he will dislike one and like the other, or he will attach himself to one and think slightingly of the other. You cannot be the bondservants both of God and of gold".

The only way I can see this could relate to a relationship is if she believes that your work, business, or hobbies are driving your primary drive to achieve wealth. She feels that wealth is possibly separating you from a walk with the lord. She may feel that the desire to achieve, succeed, or obtain wealth is driving a wedge between you and the Lord. This can be a problem with her especially if she is a simple natured, or does not understand some of the complexities of life; possibly by being sheltered by her parents. This is the only way that I can see that this verse relates in context to a relationship.

For it to apply to her it would be a bit of a misuse, probably due to the interpretation.
    It could mean that her love for you conflicts with her love of the Lord and desire to walk with Christ. Possible she feels that you are a wedge for her, because you divide her mind and her heart; which is a distraction that is more than she can bare. She can not bare the burden of guilt she feels within herself.

I feel sorry for both of you young lovers, you must both be so conflicted; each feeling the guilt and the burden of the other. No that Time heals all wounds; and true love will endure during times of separation, and that time is on your side. You have to be patient with her even when you heart and mind tell you to do otherwise. If you are not than you can drive a wedge between you two that may never again be able to be bridged. It is a hard thing. I have been there myself, I lost one which broke my heart, because I acted foolishly. I was lucky in that I found another who I have been with now for 24 years, and I never even think about the other. At least I had not for many years until I wrote this to you. So now reflecting on that love even to this day, I guess I still regret that I had been impatient and had not been more mature. You can not recork champaine, nor can you undue acts of stupidity, and regrets of a foolish act can be with you a long time.

Good luck to you sir.
    Last edited by jamesmusslewhite; 01-18-2010 at 10:17 AM.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast