Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: an open mind

Quote Originally Posted by silent-kill View Post
    so personally i think you don't understand what an hypothetical situation is.
    second there is such thing as an open mind its pretty common you can read that from jamesmusslewhite's post
    he clearly states if his belief system is proven false then he will change it to the correct one.

i give you a simpler situation, before man think the world was flat, everybody believes it
    then it was proven false. the church opposed it at first but slowly accepted that fact... do you know what i mean?
    hypothetical situation? please elaborate what u mean by a hypothetical situation in this context?

how can an open mind be a place for beliefs? the moment you subscribe to a belief, your mind is already closed. an open mind holds to no belief.

when a belief system is proven to be false? is there such a thing? that's an oxy*****.. a belief system can never be proven true/false, that's why its called a belief in the first place, because there is no absolute certainty to its nature being true or false.. you believe in it..

if you chose not to believe in it anymore, it doesn't make it wrong/false.. u just stop.. no belief system can be proven false within its OWN context.. and an outside system judging a belief system to be true/false is hypocritical..

about the world is flat, there are many ways via topological means how i can still choose to view the world as flat.. but it would be tiresome.. but the point is, one can still choose to believe that the world is flat.. and nobody else can make him choose to believe otherwise, unless he decides to let go of his belief..

---

... on another note: you can only prove a belief system to be true/false if you extend that belief system.. but this is confusing.. when you extend a belief system, you will either change your foundations, and altogether create a new belief system, which is still a belief-system, and let go of the other one.. or still adapt the foundations of the old belief system but modify its in-betweens..

but it doesn't make the old belief system any bit false to an absolute sense, it only made it false RELATIVE to your new belief system.. which is to say that you cannot absolutely prove any belief system true/false.. its the nature of belief.. it can never be proven to be true/false..

---

all this talk about belief-systems is pointless.. you believe or not, that's all that matters.. having faith is not easy.. especially at the scrutiny of others.. even when others are totally insignificant.. because faith is supposed to be a matter of the self only..

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    it is difficult because we grew on that belief.
    but what is the use of believing something that is not true anymore?
    The probing of man in it's quest for knowledge is somehow infinite, let's see what would we pick up along the way. Perhaps what we may consider false is really true after all.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedes View Post
    hypothetical situation? please elaborate what u mean by a hypothetical situation in this context?

how can an open mind be a place for beliefs? the moment you subscribe to a belief, your mind is already closed. an open mind holds to no belief.

when a belief system is proven to be false? is there such a thing? that's an oxy*****.. a belief system can never be proven true/false, that's why its called a belief in the first place, because there is no absolute certainty to its nature being true or false.. you believe in it..

if you chose not to believe in it anymore, it doesn't make it wrong/false.. u just stop.. no belief system can be proven false within its OWN context.. and an outside system judging a belief system to be true/false is hypocritical..

about the world is flat, there are many ways via topological means how i can still choose to view the world as flat.. but it would be tiresome.. but the point is, one can still choose to believe that the world is flat.. and nobody else can make him choose to believe otherwise, unless he decides to let go of his belief..

---

... on another note: you can only prove a belief system to be true/false if you extend that belief system.. but this is confusing.. when you extend a belief system, you will either change your foundations, and altogether create a new belief system, which is still a belief-system, and let go of the other one.. or still adapt the foundations of the old belief system but modify its in-betweens..

but it doesn't make the old belief system any bit false to an absolute sense, it only made it false RELATIVE to your new belief system.. which is to say that you cannot absolutely prove any belief system true/false.. its the nature of belief.. it can never be proven to be true/false..

---

all this talk about belief-systems is pointless.. you believe or not, that's all that matters.. having faith is not easy.. especially at the scrutiny of others.. even when others are totally insignificant.. because faith is supposed to be a matter of the self only..
    hypothetical in a sense that there is already an assumption made based from the topic?
    it is very simple, i don't know why you are trying to complicate the situation and render it as 'useless' / 'pointless' but still you are here wasting your time, trying to prove your point?

of course you are free to choose whatever you want to believe. nobody's arguing that lol
    you believe you can fly? go ahead jump lol
    you believe you can live forever? sure no problem
    you believe love will conquer all? uhmm ok
    i mean its very simple, a yes or no answer would do.

so based from your explanation your answer would be No, pretty simple. that's all you really need to say.

C.I.A.
    Blog Entries
    Gravity and longevity was known already a long time ago, we will see in the future up ahead, and perhaps we would witness the unity of Science and Religion.

When one tries to remain closed-minded, some will lock their minds up and do not allow the world to enter. Then the other problem is that sometimes when someone tries to be too open-minded, their brains and common sense seem to just spill out onto the floor. It is important and difficult to maintain that delicate balance.

hypothetical in a sense that there is already an assumption made based from the topic?
    it is very simple, i don't know why you are trying to complicate the situation and render it as 'useless' / 'pointless' but still you are here wasting your time, trying to prove your point?

of course you are free to choose whatever you want to believe. nobody's arguing that lol
    you believe you can fly? go ahead jump lol
    you believe you can live forever? sure no problem
    you believe love will conquer all? uhmm ok
    i mean its very simple, a yes or no answer would do.

so based from your explanation your answer would be No, pretty simple. that's all you really need to say.
    you're missing the point..

people believed they could fly.. and look where it brought us now.. airplanes..
    living forever? there's the mummy, and others invented reincarnation, and who knows, in the near future, we will truly be able to live forever..
    and yes, i believe that love does conquer all.. hahaha

i would answer yes to all your questions, contrary to your expectations.. sorry to disappoint you..

again, this is pointless..

bluedes, to each his own... go along now...

bluedes, to each his own... go along now...
    silent-kill, i learned this from a persian friend..
    what is important to God is the heart of the believer.. it doesn't really matter what he believes in, as long as his heart is true and real.

peace.

what if your current belief system i.e (Christianity, Islam, Atheism etc) is proven to be false? do you still have an open mind to accept what is true, and abandon your false faith?

atheist situation:
    like if one day god relieved himself to the world, gave everyone a chance but you where an atheist, will you start believing in him and start following his commandments?

christian situation:
    what if one day allah shows himself to the world and tell you that Christianity is false will you start believing in him and abandon christianity?

muslim/christian situation:
    what if one day god has been proven to be false will you accept that fact? and start living life without fear?
    but not necessarily going on a killing frenzy lol.

share your thoughts if youd will still believe in your old faith or change, if so then why.

how can you disprove something when in the beginning it required faith? exactly why something that cannot be prover or disproven paves way for faith.

10.    Advertisement

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789