Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

i am thinking of doing an inlay of my signature on hardwood. the signature most probably crafted in brass at first but i want it in valuable metals when i gain enough skill on this one.

i hope this will be good woodworking project for special knife handles or gun stocks.

you mean metal imo e inlay signature metal to wood?

do the metal stuff first.. use a hack saw and all available files.. round, half round, etc.

ones done..

prepare your wood..
    then you need a trimmer tool.. it's more like router but handy and smaller..
    utility knife
    Adhesive to be use is contact cement ( rugby is a brand)

If you have no trimmer mag chisel ka nalang.

trace your metal figured to your wood. one it's done use a utility knife and trace your drawing.. ( this will prevent in chipping off your wood while trimming.)

then set depth of your cutter sa imo trimmer.. depth is equal sa thickness sa metal..
    then trim..

ignon ana lang..

mao ra ni ang ako way of processing your project.. but if you have some idea please post the lets review it together.. I might have missed something..
    Last edited by waterboy0911; 06-06-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by waterboy0911 View Post
    you mean metal imo e inlay signature metal to wood?

do the metal stuff first.. use a hack saw and all available files.. round, half round, etc.

ones done..

prepare your wood..
    then you need a trimmer tool.. it's more like router but handy and smaller..
    utility knife
    Adhesive to be use is contact cement ( rugby is a brand)

If you have no trimmer mag chisel ka nalang.

trace your metal figured to your wood. one it's done use a utility knife and trace your drawing.. ( this will prevent in chipping off your wood while trimming.)

then set depth of your cutter sa imo trimmer.. depth is equal sa thickness sa metal..
    then trim..

ignon ana lang..

mao ra ni ang ako way of processing your project.. but if you have some idea please post the lets review it together.. I might have missed something..
    i used to do carving sa una so im familiar with most those different chisels, files, even modified tools. lately i have been using the dremel moto tool a lot. but i am still learning. btw, i am using marine epoxy instead of rugby.

epoxy can do the trick but it's costly.. .. woods have this movements man gud.. then ones na ang imong metal wala naka embed sa imong wood.. ma tang tang na imong metal.. ang contact cement is more flexible kay rubberized mana gud..

pero I am not saying nga ang imong epoxy won't work..

epoxy can do the trick but it's costly.. .. woods have this movements man gud.. then ones na ang imong metal wala naka embed sa imong wood.. ma tang tang na imong metal.. ang contact cement is more flexible kay rubberized mana gud..

pero I am not saying nga ang imong epoxy won't work..
    my biggest problem is learning the secret to perfect cutting of the design. i call the wood as negative, and the inlay as the positive. in those made by experts, the cut is so perfect gyud...matched kaayo ang cut. way extra cuts ang canal para mudawat sa positive. kung giunsa, ganahan ko makakat-on....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by tophat View Post
    my biggest problem is learning the secret to perfect cutting of the design. i call the wood as negative, and the inlay as the positive. in those made by experts, the cut is so perfect gyud...matched kaayo ang cut. way extra cuts ang canal para mudawat sa positive. kung giunsa, ganahan ko makakat-on....hehe
    you want precision you need CNC na ana.. bt practice makes perfect..

para dili gyud mo lapas ang imong grooving.. trace lang sa lagi then gamit ka ug cutter.. para inig tigib nimo dili to ma chip off ang mga edges..

There is no one here who graduated elem today then the next day he's already college..

which means there is always a process.. learn first the basic then move to the next level..

cheers.. hope I answered your questions..

brad tophat..

ask lang ko unsa man ang imong mga tools available?

you want precision you need CNC na ana..
    well, that is ur opinion sir. i have seen "precision" inlays dating to 18th century. i did not know they have CNC's then. but then you are the expert here....hehe

brad tophat..

ask lang ko unsa man ang imong mga tools available?
    for inlays i just use chisels ang files.

you want precision you need CNC na ana.. bt practice makes perfect..

para dili gyud mo lapas ang imong grooving.. trace lang sa lagi then gamit ka ug cutter.. para inig tigib nimo dili to ma chip off ang mga edges..

There is no one here who graduated elem today then the next day he's already college..

which means there is always a process.. learn first the basic then move to the next level..

cheers.. hope I answered your questions..
    This is a kind answer from a wise man. Very positive.

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 85 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast