Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would be a cheap long term storage solution? for pictures, family vids, etc...

I used to have this 1TB Western Digital External hard drive for my storage needs. But as of recently I have observed that the family photos and videos stored on this device is getting larger and larger as the months/years go by. By now I have 3 years worth of pictures on this drive.

My dilemma is, I'm having difficulty deciding on what storage solution I am planning to take.

Here are the specifics:
    1. Files will not be updated frequently, Im talking about adding files once every 2 months at least
    2. The storage solutions should last long enough for it to be cheap / sustainable.

As of now I'm leaning towards getting a 3.5 inch 2TB Western Digital Green drive with a SATA III to USB 3.0 converter, where I would just leave the drive in storage when not in use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LadYKilleR8520 View Post
    I used to have this 1TB Western Digital External hard drive for my storage needs. But as of recently I have observed that the family photos and videos stored on this device is getting larger and larger as the months/years go by. By now I have 3 years worth of pictures on this drive.

My dilemma is, I'm having difficulty deciding on what storage solution I am planning to take.

Here are the specifics:
    1. Files will not be updated frequently, Im talking about adding files once every 2 months at least
    2. The storage solutions should last long enough for it to be cheap / sustainable.

As of now I'm leaning towards getting a 3.5 inch 2TB Western Digital Green drive with a SATA III to USB 3.0 converter, where I would just leave the drive in storage when not in use.
    Ipa burn imong uban files/pictures sa M-Disc brad.....your files/pix would last Milllenium (thousand years). ambot lang asa available sa Cebu.....https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...10+pack+m-disc

Per MB cguro cheapest gyud ang HDD. Since ingon ana man ka important, make sure lang nga naa ka mirror sa imu backup. A backup of a backup.

Then, optionally, place this in a dry box para walay issue sa humidity. Place the backup and the mirror in 2 different areas.

Try ug search ug cloud storage boss like dropbox kay didto nimo nalang i store uban files and automatic syncing pajud. Well for me ok ra ang WD green mao ako gi gamit for my daily storage. Unsa ako gi buhat ug di need i store i delete then kadto rang essentials ako i store.

Pahabol: I don't recommend ug imo i burn ang imong files sa DVD or any optical storage kay in later days ma daut ang CD/DVD ana ma expired or unsa na term gamiton ana basta akoa usa ko sa biktima ug backup sa cd/dvd sa una. There is no cheapest solution sa computer kundi palit jud kag reliable HDD. Cheap and reliable HDD's daghan man like toshiba, Hitachi or even WD kay never ko naka encounter ug issue ana.

For me transfer it to DVD as data file is still the best choice,it can last up to 50 yrs if it is written & burn properly.
    you also need to follow some proper guidelines in storing your disc.

long lasting storage would be WD HDD in RAID1 < mirror > with warranty to last at 5+ years as designed, installed in your pc.

have a 2 x 2 TB WD black < it maybe expensive to build but divide that with 1825 days of peace of mind <365 x 5>

NO SUCH THING AS RELIABLE, LONG LASTING but CHEAP STORAGE. ONLY REliable storage that becomes cheap economically when years of service is computed.

Same problem ta bro. Hehehe. Ako gamit lang ang karaan nga hard drive gihapon. Mag 8 years na ni. Pero pag check nako sa Hard Disk Sentinel, 100% man gihapon iyang health. Western Digital Green ako gamit.

Quote Originally Posted by butitoy View Post
    long lasting storage would be WD HDD in RAID1 < mirror > with warranty to last at 5+ years as designed, installed in your pc.

have a 2 x 2 TB WD black < it maybe expensive to build but divide that with 1825 days of peace of mind <365 x 5>

NO SUCH THING AS RELIABLE, LONG LASTING but CHEAP STORAGE. ONLY REliable storage that becomes cheap economically when years of service is computed.
    #WalangForever

If kugihan ka mu check sa hard drive health sa imung HDD. maka anticipate ka when to transfer your files/data to new storages

btw.. i dont trust could storage thingy for now. kuyawan lang gyud ko anang internet mag hold sa imung data

bosh, i suggest create a free and personal blog like tumble or wordpress, then host all your pictures there and for videos, you can just upload it on youtube.

invest on a NAS pc solution, maybe not that cheap but paired with a ups and maybe configured as raid 1, you and your files should be fine for a long time.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast