Default Bishop stops singing of love songs in Masses

Bishop stops singing of love songs in Masses
    Manila Bulletin
    Manila Bulletin - Saturday, January 2

You may have heard the last of the secular love of songs in Roman Catholic Masses, particularly in the Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan in Pangasinan.

In a letter to priests dated December 31, 2009, newly installed Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Socrates Villegas discouraged the singing of secular love songs during Mass in his archdiocese, saying it does not have a place in the Divine Liturgy.

So songs like Jolina Magdangal's "Laging Tapat," Basil Valdez's "Hindi Kita Malilimutan," Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up," Joey Albert's "Sa Iyo Lamang," Rico Puno's "May Bukas Pa," among others, may no longer be heard in Catholic churches, at least in Lingayen and Dagupan.

"Secular love songs, even if they have religious themes, do not have any place in the divine liturgy," Villegas said.

The prelate also discouraged the practice of having children or young people dance in the parish sanctuary in obedience to the instructions of Pope Benedict XVI and until the rules pertaining to dancing within the liturgy have been approved by the Episcopal Commission on Liturgy.

Aside from those mentioned, Villegas also raised to the attention of his priests other issues in their Catholic parishes and communities to help bring about a more inspiring and truly edifying liturgical worship such as the issue of cleanliness.

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness.I encourage you to maintain the cleanliness of our sacred vessels, particularly our chalices and ciboria. God deserves the best. Sacred vessels need regular metal plating to maintain their luster befitting the divine worship," he said.

"We must take special care that our Mass vestments are clean and dignified. Cleanliness and dignity need not be expensive. Dignity and cleanliness in the choice and use of liturgical vestments is not optional. It is imperative on account of the dignity of the liturgy we celebrate. Please dispose of old, tattered and faded vestments properly by burning them," added Villegas.

He said the church and its surroundings must also be kept clean from trash such as candy wrappers, soiled missalettes and even stuck chewing gums on the church flooring.

"Cleanliness is next to Godliness. The church must be the cleanest place in the community," Villegas said.

The Lingayen-Dagupan prelate also urged his priests to teach the flock again about the Catholic practice of genuflecting before the tabernacle, the observance of prayerful silence in the church, modesty in dress and the discourtesy of chewing gum or using cell phones in the church.

But he stressed to his clergy that liturgy is not just obedience to the rubrics and instructions rather good liturgy must make one more loving.

"Good liturgy cannot save. Only the power of love can bring us to heaven. As a fruit of the faithful and reverent celebration of the mysteries of Christ, we must become more caring and attentive to the needs of the least, the last and the lost. Good liturgy can sanctify only to the extent that it leads us to serve, imitating the example of Him who stooped down to wash the feet of His disciples," said Villegas.

Villegas was installed as Archbishop of Lingayen-Dagupan on November 4, 2009. He succeeded Archbishop Oscar Cruz.

-- as for my opinion?, i dont think the church should be as strict as this.. the other practices like modesty in dress and genuflecting before the tabernacle is not bad for me since that was our practice before and the church mainly wants to revive that practice. but for the songs... i mean love songs are okay especially when the song clearly is directed to god.

now how about your opinion guys??
    Last edited by vcmov_15; 01-04-2010 at 10:54 PM.

https://www.istorya.net/forums/music-...tal-music.html

.. it's funny how confused these religious folks are when it comes to music. Some tag heavy metal as the music of satan. Now, here comes are bishop who denounces love songs or should i say ballads to be not good enough for the church.. ssshhhheeeeesssshhh.. c'mon, make up your freaking minds.

Quote Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
    https://www.istorya.net/forums/music-...tal-music.html

.. it's funny how confused these religious folks are when it comes to music. Some tag heavy metal as the music of satan. Now, here comes are bishop who denounces love songs or should i say ballads to be not good enough for the church.. ssshhhheeeeesssshhh.. c'mon, make up your freaking minds.
    well, if there is human rights violation right there I would probably stood against...

the Church can choose what songs it needs to be "prayed" not just merely "playing the music/song"...
    its just a matter of "regulating"...on what should be and what should be not...after all they(bishop) are leaders, they can plead the church goers to abide...as long as it is not a human right violation...

god never demanded gold.

if there's goodness, we don't need cleanliness.

maau pa pilian lng nla ang kanta kay naa rabay mga kanta nga nindot ang mensahe pero dili cya religious song...

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdyboi View Post
    maau pa pilian lng nla ang kanta kay naa rabay mga kanta nga nindot ang mensahe pero dili cya religious song...
    agree ko ani.. some of the songs they considered "love songs" was actually a song about love for god.. like for example the song "you raise me up" if you would look at the lyrics it clearly depicts the love for god. the church is preaching that we should love god and all yet here we are loving god by singing a love song meant for him and then pooooffff bawal na hinuon... wow... just wow....

i remember Pope John Paul when i read this.. especially the part of dancing... for me dancing even if there is no special occasion is a bit exaggerated but if the church is celebrating feast days etc.. i think that would be alright.. its not gonna be permanent anyways.. even the late pope is in the groove(patuyok2 sa sungkod while watching the youth dance) loving every music and dance of praise for the lord.. god i missed him... soon to be a saint...

I don't think they would be secular love songs if the original subject of the artists / composers is God.

I even think Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" is more religious than secular.

But if His Eminence's basis for the term "secular" is the composer being secular and not the original subject of his song, I would have to say I'll be skeptical about this policy. Daghan baya religious songs (as in songs intentionally composed for worship) composed by secular artists that are very good.

Anyway, the letter was specific - on the occasion of the liturgy ra man. This shouldn't stop or discourage us from listening to or singing religious songs composed by secular artists kung dili liturgical celebration.

yup that is correct but somehow it would give people the reason to dislike the bishop's rule...

moves like these would somehow turn away catholics from attending the mass instead of bringing them closer to God. its disappointing really..

11.    Advertisement