Default meteor shower 12-14-2011 starts 9pm. anybody has taken the picture?

meteor shower 12-14-2011 starts 9pm. anybody has taken the picture?

Blog Entries

Default Re: meteor shower 12-14-2011 starts 9pm. anybody has taken the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by lady_c View Post
    meteor shower 12-14-2011 starts 9pm. anybody has taken the picture?
    It's generally better to observe a meteor shower directly than do basic astrophotography. One needs good equipment, such as a camera with the ability for long exposures, and a wide-angle/fisheye lens to cover the entire sky. Furthermore, dapat you have to mount the camera on a tracking mount that will track the movement of the sky, otherwise in long exposures, the stars will appear like lines, so malibog ka if the pictures are showing star streaks or meteor streaks. If you only have a point-and-shoot or a cellphone camera, then it will be quite a futile attempt.

-RODION

Blog Entries

Furthermore, the Geminids already started last week pa. What went on last night and tonight is the so called "peak" of the shower. After tonight, each night mas gamay na ang meteors nga makitan. The Geminids aren't a spectacular bunch, kay 40 meteors per hour lang ang average. Something like 200 or better is fun to watch, like the Leonids.

-RODION

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    Furthermore, the Geminids already started last week pa. What went on last night and tonight is the so called "peak" of the shower. After tonight, each night mas gamay na ang meteors nga makitan. The Geminids aren't a spectacular bunch, kay 40 meteors per hour lang ang average. Something like 200 or better is fun to watch, like the Leonids.

-RODION
    I'm not sure if one of the meteorites ba to akong nakit-an gabii.. Usually, streak ra man unta na.
    Mura man to ug fireworks, but bluish tail (forming like a comet).. mura cya natagak, then nawagtang lang ug kalit..

Last time I'm seeing that kind sighting was when I was about 10 yrs old.
    Pero lahi to sa-una, kay murag kwitis, but ni-travel in zigzag, above me, it lasted longer, around 4 seconds.
    Then nawagtang dayun.

Kinda weird.. really..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse1L View Post
    I'm not sure if one of the meteorites ba to akong nakit-an gabii..
    I'm 100% sure it was not a meteorite. Why? Meteorites are found on the ground--the ones still orbiting through space or streaking and burning up in earth's atmosphere are called meteoroids or simply, meteors. This distinction is IMPORTANT, so REMEMBER it. Ergo, you saw meteors, NOT meteorites.

Quote Originally Posted by redhorse1L View Post
    Usually, streak ra man unta na.
    Mura man to ug fireworks, but bluish tail (forming like a comet).. mura cya natagak, then nawagtang lang ug kalit..

Last time I'm seeing that kind sighting was when I was about 10 yrs old.
    Pero lahi to sa-una, kay murag kwitis, but ni-travel in zigzag, above me, it lasted longer, around 4 seconds.
    Then nawagtang dayun.

Kinda weird.. really..
    What you saw is called a BOLIDE, still a meteor, but just a little bit larger...

-RODION

Well, I did try to take a picture of the area (Gemini constellation) and after 10 30-second exposures, no luck.

Then the clouds started to appear. I think there was a slight rain that night.

7.    Advertisement