Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Virtual Private Network (VPN) question

I would like to connect to from my home PC to my office desktop via VPN (so I can use the printers in the office), and I hope someone can answer my question regarding this.

My office desktop is connected to the office network; the network server runs Windows 98 SE, and also runs Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) to allow the other PCs in the network to connect to the internet.

Also, my home pc is also connected to my home network. My home pc acts as the network server and also runs ICS so the other pc can connect to the internet.

My question is, can I connect from my home PC to my office desktop via VPN, given that (a) both are using ICS to connect to the internet; and (b) both networks use the same DNS settings, etc.?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Default Re: Virtual Private Network (VPN) question

whats the OS of your home PC and office desktop?
    Are you using a static IP address at the internet side both in the office and at home?

Im afraid that your network server that runs with Win98SE has a limited support to VPN connections. You may try using a third party VPN software. There are some that comes free.

Tamblot- thanks for your reply...

the home PC runs XP Pro, the office PC runs XP Home. as both the office and home networks use ICS, the address of their servers is the same. 198.162.0.1

i already tried doing the VPN, but the home pc couldn't connect. i suspected that the addresses had something to do with it, but not being well-versed in networking stuff, i wasn't sure if this case the case. i figured i better ask for opinions from those who know better..

wlay labot ang ICS ani... its just that... you must configure it right lang... ADVANCED CONNECTION naman ni gud.

Usually bai ang pinakadali nga way nga maka connect ka sa imo office pc is to have a vpn router and must take note that kinahanglan nga different subnets sila or else di gyud ka lapos ang connection. For me mas maau if naa kay vpn router para mas secure gyud imo connection.

tenks for the input guys!...)

Quote Originally Posted by marsman
    Usually bai ang pinakadali nga way nga maka connect ka sa imo office pc is to have a vpn router and must take note that kinahanglan nga different subnets sila or else di gyud ka lapos ang connection. For me mas maau if naa kay vpn router para mas secure gyud imo connection.
    marsman- does that mean if i change the subnet in my home network from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.254.0 it might work?

a vpn router would be nice unta but i just need the vpn to print the docs in the office so my staff can use them right away instead of having to send a hard copy to the office.

Minuano27- what i mean of the IP address is the public address of your office. Windows server can act as VPN server.

I've tested both OS and Hardware based VPN and both just worked well. For the OS-based, I use PPTP/L2TP with certificates. Server is Windows 2000 Advanced Server. Client is Windows XP Pro.

For Hardware based, I use IPSEC VPN. Tried Linksys, 3Com, Cisco and Fortigate.

My point why i ask for the public IP of your office is that, your home PC should know what IP to talk to so you can initiate VPN.

tamblot- ok..i think i get what u mean...i'll try and figure this out again...thanks!

just keep us posted.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast